上海千花网,爱上海,上海419论坛 – Powered by Gregary Thayne!

YouTube recommendations for altright videos have dropped dramatically study shows

Posted on by

first_imgSOPA Images Google has made “major changes” to its recommendations system on YouTube that have reduced the amount of “alt-right” videos recommended to users, according to a study led by Nicolas Suzor, an associate professor at Queensland University of Technology.During the first two weeks of February, alt-right videos appeared in YouTube’s “Up Next” recommendations sidebar 7.8 percent of the time (roughly one in 13). From Feb. 15 onward, that number dropped to 0.4 percent (roughly one in 250).Suzor’s study took random samples of 3.6 million videos, and used 81 channels listed on a recent study by Rebecca Lewis as a starting point. That list includes voices like Richard Spencer, an American white supremacist, but also includes more mainstream voices like Joe Rogan, who does not self-identify as alt-right but often plays host to more extremist voices on his podcast (including alt-right figures such as Alex Jones).The drop appears significant, but it’s difficult to figure precisely how that drop occurred. We don’t know if YouTube is targeting ‘alt-right’ videos specifically or if the drop off is part of broader changes to YouTube’s recommendation system.YouTube has long spoken about making changes to recommendations. As early as two weeks ago, YouTube was criticised for allowing the flat-Earth movement to flourish using its platform.In response, YouTube has attempted to curtail what it refers to as false information. YouTube says freedom of speech is central to its core tenets, even when people express controversial beliefs, but has been working to reduce the spread of misinformation on its platform.YouTube has also been investing in surfacing credible voices on its platform. “In the last year alone,” said one recent YouTube blog post, “we’ve made hundreds of changes to improve the quality of recommendations for users on YouTube.”In that same blog post, YouTube said it was planning to reduce “recommendations of borderline content and content that could misinform users in harmful ways — such as videos promoting a phony miracle cure for a serious illness, claiming the Earth is flat, or making blatantly false claims about historic events like 9/11.”YouTube stated it would be a gradual change, and apply to less than 1 percent of the content uploaded on YouTube.In a statement sent to CNET, a YouTube spokesperson said the platform wasn’t targeting alt-right videos.”We announced in January that we are reducing recommendations of borderline content or videos that could misinform users in harmful ways. We have not had a chance to thoroughly review this study, however, our recommendation systems are not designed to favor or demote specific misinformation based on specific political perspectives.”Speaking to CNET, Nicolas Suzor is looking for more transparency from YouTube regarding how and why certain videos are recommended.”It’s not good enough that we have to guess about how well these systems are working,” he said, “and our research can only observe from the outside. YouTube has done a lot to improve transparency about its terms of service enforcement on a high level over the last year, but they still need to do more to help people understand how their algorithms are operating.” YouTube 0 Post a comment Tags Digital Media Culture Share your voicelast_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , .

Bigg Boss Telugu 3 in trouble High alert at Akkineni Nagarjunas house

Posted on by

first_imgNagarjuna on Bigg Boss Telugu 3TwitterBigg Boss Telugu 3 has landed in another trouble after a students’ association reportedly tried to attack Akkineni Nagarjuna’s residence in Hyderabad. A high alert has been declared outside his house.Bigg Boss Telugu 3 is undoubtedly one of the most awaited Telugu reality TV shows of 2019. But the show has been delayed due to a series of problem. When everyone thought that it would take off on July 21, the show land in a controversy after actress Gayatri Gupta and journalist Shwetha Reddy filed a complaint against its makers. They have alleged casting couch and breach of the agreement.In their complaints, Swetha Reddy and Gayathri Gupta alleged that the coordinators of Bigg Boss Telugu 2 tried to sexually harass them by asking inappropriate personal questions. They also claimed that they had a meeting with the coordinators a few times and finalised their payments. But now they have stopped responding, which resulted in both of them rejecting some other offers.Now, the students’ organisation has launched a protest demanding the cancellation of Bigg Boss Telugu 3. They are reportedly even trying to storm the house of host Akkineni Nagarjuna at Jubilee Hills, Hyderabad. The police have declared a high alert and provided protection at the residence of the senior actor.The latest development has fueled speculations that Bigg Boss Telugu 3 might be cancelled and the audience, who are eagerly waiting for its telecast, are disturbed by the latest reports about the show. They are apparently confused over whether the makers will really cancel the show.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , .

Jihads family compensated with Tk 2m

Posted on by

first_imgFour-year-old JihadBangladesh Fire Service and Civil Defence and Bangladesh Railway on Sunday paid Tk 2 million as compensation to the family of Jihad, who tragically died after falling into an abandoned deep tube-well in Shahjahanpur area of the city on 26 December 2014.Jihad’s father confirmed that the two government entities each paid Tk 1 milion through check and pay-order as compensation to the family.Earlier, on 3 July the High Court summoned the Bangladesh Railway Director General to appear before it on 14 August and explain the failure to execute its earlier order to provide Tk 2 million as compensation to the family of Jihad.On 1 March, the High Court issued a contempt of court rule on three government officials for not implementing a court order to provide Tk 2 million as compensation to the family of Jihad.An HC bench of justice Md Ashfaqul Islam and justice KM Kamrul Kader asked Bangladesh Railway director general Md Amjad Hosain, fire service DG brigadier general Ali Ahmed Khan and its director major AKM Shakil Newaj to respond to the rule within two weeks.A legal notice was served to defendants on 22 January as they did not provide the compensation money to the family.Later, the contempt petition was filed as the defendants did not reply to the legal notice.On 18 February 2016, another HC bench comprising justice Farah Mahbub and justice Kazi M Ejarul Haque Akond asked the government to compensate Tk 2 million to the family members of the four-year-old victim, who met the premature end of his life inside a 600-foot abandoned shaft of a water pump at Shahjahanpur Railway Colony.Lawyer Md Abdul Halim filed a writ petition with the High Court on 28 December 2014 seeking its directives for providing Tk 3 million as compensation to Jihad’s family members.The body of Jihad was pulled out from the abandoned shaft 23 hours after he had slipped into it.last_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , .

Political Roundup Resources For Harvey And Irma Disaster Relief

Posted on by

first_imgIt’s time again for the Houston Matters weekly political roundup and analysis of national, state, and local political stories with an eye to how it all might affect Houston and Texas.On this week’s edition, we discuss Harvey and Irma dominating the political discourse over the last week, Congress approving its Harvey disaster relief bill, and lawmakers coming together this week to pass a non-binding joint resolution urging President Trump to denounce racist and anti-Semitic hate groups.Today, our guests are: Jay Aiyer, from Texas Southern University and co-host of Houston Public Media’s Party Politics podcast; Dr. David Branham, professor of political science at the University of Houston-Downtown; and  News 88.7 politics and government reporter Andrew Schneider.  Sharelast_img read more

Tagged: , , , , , , , , , , .