first_img9 January 2012 “In addition, we are building upon our successful partnership with MTN in Ghana where our tower expertise, operational excellence and a focus on delivering growth and value from the asset portfolio, are highly complemented by MTN’s regional operational experience,” he said. American Tower CEO Jim Taiclet said the company’s strategy was to invest in select African markets with strong wireless growth potential and a positive investment climate “Infrastructure sharing makes absolute sense for MTN and we expect it to play a significant role in reducing our long-term infrastructure costs,” MTN Group chief executive Sifiso Dabengwa said in a statement last month. “The Ugandan market has presented us with an opportunity to continue to build on our strong working relationship with the experienced team at American Tower.” In November 2010, South African mobile operator Cell C sold over 3 000 of its base station towers to American Tower in a $430-million deal. The deal is expected to be finalised in the first half of 2012, subject to usual regulatory approvals, upon which ATC Uganda will become the largest owner and operator of base station tower sites in that country. Pan-African mobile operator MTN Group and American Tower Corporation (ATC) are to establish a new joint venture tower company in Uganda that will acquire MTN base station towers in that country for approximately US$175-million. “Because market conditions in each of the markets are unique, we will continue to evaluate infrastructure sharing opportunities on a market by market basis going forward,” said Dabengwa. American Tower is a leading independent owner, operator and developer of broadcast and wireless communications sites in the United States, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, India, Ghana, Mexico, Peru and South Africa. MTN Uganda will be the anchor tenant, on commercial terms, on each of the towers being purchased. Independent tower operations MTN owns approximately 33 000 base station towers across its 22 operations in Africa and the Middle East. American Tower expects that ATC Uganda will build approximately 280 tower sites for MTN Uganda over the next three years, as well as pursue opportunities to build tower sites for other wireless operators in Uganda. ATC Uganda, which will own about 1 000 base station towers, will be managed by American Tower, and controlled by a holding company of which American Tower will hold a 51% stake and MTN Group the remaining 49%. SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo materiallast_img